rir or black star and is it aa sex link!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jadude, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    are black stars the same as black sex link and do they lay better than rirs

2. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Black Stars are the same as Black Sex Links. I have Red Stars that are great layers. Never had and RIR so I can't compare. I just got some Black Sex Link chicks.

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If you look at My Pet Chicken, they describe both as excellent layers of brown eggs. The stars supposedly lay large ones while the RIRs lay extra large. The RIRs are between 7-8# while the stars are a bit smaller at 6-7#. I don't have them yet but am planning to have one of each of these. They're both supposed to be very nice birds.

The stars however, since they are a hybrid not a true breed can vary what they look like, whereas the RIR don't vary as much. The stars will still be mostly black from what I've read but could have as little brown/red mixed in on their chests that you can barely see it to as much as their head and neck being that color and the rest of them black.

Check out the pictures on this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=82353&p=1

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Both bsls and rirs are great layers, but I believe bsls are the better layers. The rirs you would get from a hatchery would be production reds (not true rirs), which are also very good layers.

5. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    double post

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    double post

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    The Black sex linked are made by crossing a RIR cock on Barred rock hens. when taking out of the incubater the cocks have a white spot on the head and the pullets are all black, sexing is very easy.

8. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We have both black stars and red sex-links. Our black stars lay a bigger eggs than that of our RIRs and Red-sexlinks. They do not lay as scheduled as our RIRs but again have bigger eggs. Our RIRs personalities are sweet and gentle, the Black Stars personality is get out leave me alone.

9. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    My RIRs are sweet girls. Truly sweet birds, on the order of a very tame cockatiel. They make me feel like a beautiful princess when they come running up to me. [​IMG]

They must not have great eyesight. But they sure know it's me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by