RIR or BO

TwinMommy2009

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 29, 2009
The Deep South
Hello, this is my first time posting! Im looking to purchase quality Rhode Island Reds or Buff Orpingtons in the spring... Im looking for very large, show quality chickens. Can someone take the time to tell me which breed would be best for me? They'll be in a good home, hobby farm in the country. Im wanting them for pets, eggs, and maybe selling a chick or two in the far future. Can anyone recommend a breeder? Im leary of large online hatcheries...Im wanting something of better quality.

Thanks so much for your time!!

Both breeds are very good meat birds. RIR's lay a bit more eggs a year. Their more common. I am an Orp fan. Just the hand I was dealt. They handle cold weather a bit better. There are Rose Comb RIR's that do very well with colder weather. RIR's are a yellow skinned, an American Breed. The Orps are either white skin for the Buff's and Whites, or black slate color for the Blacks and Blues.
I don't know many RIR breeders. I am sure you can find what ever you like in Poultry Press. IF you want to show, that is the best source. Several of the breeders I bought from are regulars on the front page. A truelly great source for beginners, which I am. I am just near two years with chickens. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!!!! I appreciate it.
smile.png

I've had both and both are great birds. RIR probably lay more, but I really like the temperment of the buffs. They are calm and peaceful. My mom had buffs when we were little, and we would run those things all over the yard. They never got hateful or mean. I also like the taste of their meat better than the others. They are also easier to dress because they don't have many pin feathers. They have more like a fuzz or downy feather which makes them very easy to dress out. I also like the pullet meat better than the roo meat. I don't know why, but I can detect a slight difference in the taste of the meat between the buff pullet and the roo.

Back
Top Bottom