RIR or BO

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TwinMommy2009, Dec 29, 2009.

1. TwinMommy2009

TwinMommy2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    Hello, this is my first time posting! Im looking to purchase quality Rhode Island Reds or Buff Orpingtons in the spring... Im looking for very large, show quality chickens. Can someone take the time to tell me which breed would be best for me? They'll be in a good home, hobby farm in the country. Im wanting them for pets, eggs, and maybe selling a chick or two in the far future. Can anyone recommend a breeder? Im leary of large online hatcheries...Im wanting something of better quality.

Thanks so much for your time!!

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Pine Grove on here has raised SQ RIRs for 20 years, if you contact me, I'll get you his contact info.

3. TwinMommy2009

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    thank you so much... funny, i just came across a post of yours with pictures of his RIR and was about to contact you!! lol

4. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i have both RIR and BO. The RIRs are way sweeter ( hens, that is...i have heard horrors about RIR roos) ... my BO's are very aloof and skeptical. If ya want a friendly ,want to be petted type bird, go, RIR all the way.... I think the BO's are prettier tho...just my opinion.

5. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    I have to disagree with Twister. My RIR's are true chickens all the way- which means they like to scratch, peck, and make crabby chicken noises. They are supposed to be wonderful layers- but mine are lazy and I haven't seen an egg from them since Halloween. My Buff on the other hand is my little love honey. She's pretty and loves to have her feet washed. She lays almost every day and stomps in the house like she owns the place if we leave the door open. Someone must have told her she was a princess (probably me) and she took it to heart.

The key though is I let the RIR's grow up as regular chickens and the BO as my special little friend.

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    TwinMommy2009 [​IMG]

7. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I have BO's, and they are dolls. [​IMG]

My DSO has RIR's and they are very good at turning feed into eggs. Other than that, they aren't much fun. However, it really does matter how you handle the birds. I cuddle and love mine. He sees his as livestock. If he had BO's they'd probably be aloof. If I had RIR's, they would probably be lap chickens.

Get whatever you like. You will be happy with the decision.

8. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The best source to find who has the show quality birds is Poultry Press. they list who wins the shows, and where the shows are. Find what you like and go to a show and see the birds in person. When you have the birds side by side, there is no lying who has the birds you like.

9. TwinMommy2009

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    Thanks everyone, for your replies!!

Im bird-less at the moment (thanks to the resident bobcat)...Ive had pigeons (fancy & homing) since a was a child. Ive had very friendly geese, ducks, and chickens of no breed importance. Though I must add that I purchased two Black Sumatra hens that were pure hell. lol Im wanting to set up a small flock of quality birds, something large and "pretty" and something for my boys to grow up with and make memories.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by