RIR or BR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wjallen05, Jan 20, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I got 8 RIR males as extras with my last chick order. I have another coming on the 28th and I ordrered 6 RIR pullets and plan on keeping one of the roos.
    After reading about how aggressive the RIRs are, I am thinking I may change the RIR pullets to BR pullets and a roo. And maybe we'll have the extra RIRs for dinner. What do yall think?
    Are RIR better layers than BR or about the same? Also does either breed eat less?
    TIA.

2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I like them both. I think BR lay bigger eggs over time. They also seem to be calmer and more easy going. They just don't lay as many eggs as the RIR. If I was going to keep 1 roo, I would keep one least likely to be aggressive, but that is hard to know because as they move up the chain they sometimes get really aggressive unexpectedly.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My fav breed rooster is a Barred Rock. I have three of them, all from the same sire, all wonderful sweet boys. Never had a RIR rooster, but the breeder quality ones tend generally to be calmer, IMO, than the hatchery versions.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I love BR I have had a few BR Roos (I did get a bad batch last year & they were all crazy including the Roo!)

I have RIR Roo now who seems mellow he is 7 months now

I think it all depends on your strain!

with a breeder you can ask!
    hatchery I would orer 2/3 & at 7 months pick which personality you like

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    BR's are much nicer to be around. The RIR's ARE very aggressive. I have had several over the years and got rid of them all.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I love both the Production Red and "RIR" temperaments. The trick with the RIR cockerels is to handle them alot when they're young. If you don't, the likelihood of them developing into overaggressive cockerels is increased.

Even with constant handling, some just turn bad. I've had awful hatchery Barred Rocks as well. There are mean ones in every bunch and then there are the gems of nice ones.

The most tame bird I ever owned was a Langshan and a RIR. I loved that RIR something awful...

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    The breeder I get my hatching eggs from has a GORGEOUS RIR roo....and he's a goof ball...not a mean boy at all. Treats his owners well and his girls. He does court his owner though! [​IMG]

8. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the br roosters have the best temperament but i have yet to run into a evil rir pullet or roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by