RIR or Other?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augiedranch, Feb 9, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]Just wondering, in this pic I have labeled a RIR hen, one of my gold star hens, and I have a bunch that came from a hatchery that don't exactly look like a rir... red, but you can def tell their is a difference. .. what is this? New Hampshire red? Odd RIR?

What would the cross be if bred to my RIR rooster?
    Thanks in advance![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No, not an RI Red. We don't see a full body shot, but from what we can see, we see a golden colored bird.

New Hampshires (no red attached) is an orange bird. A RI Red is a deep, mahogany Red bird. Hatcheries do not have true RI Reds, only production type red birds.

That said? She's likely a Superb egg layer, highly productive and if you want eggs? You'll probably like her very, very much.

These are RI Reds

[​IMG]

This is a New Hamp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Wow! Those are gorgeous RIR ' S . What should I call the breed of my girls then, lol? And you're right, they are so very sweet, and wonderful layers! they Thanks 4 the reply. [​IMG]

4. Merro

Merro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    From what I know
    RIR: Deep Brown
    Red Star/Comet/etc: Golden/Red with white leakage on wings and body
    New Hampshire: Golden/Red with black leakage in tail, almost never white on body or wings.

The cross breed would just be another red mutt production egg layer. Would not likely be sex linked, though, as from what I've seen that's first gens only?

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your birds are kind of jumbled up there, but those reddish hens which have white underfluff and white feathers in the tails are Red Sex Links (red gene rooster X silver gene hen) which are marketed by hatcheries under a number of different labels including Red Star, Gold Star, Gold Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, etc. I can't see the bodies well, but some of your hens appear to be reddish without any white feathers in the tail. These solid red hens are Production Reds (red gene rooster X red gene hen). Production Reds are excellent layers and Red Sex Links are egg laying machines outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

6. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Production reds! That's it! Thank you all for the help. Very interesting! I love learning new things every day, and glad to know what I actually have out there.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not trying to be fussy, not at all, just informative perhaps.

- Deep, dark reddish Brown is the color owned by the Buckeye.

- The R I Red is called a Red for a reason. It's shade is deep, Bing cherry, lustrous mahogany red.

- The New Hamp is orangish, brown, a burnt red blend of shades. A white feather would be a DQ.

Remembering however, only the New Hampshire, Buckeye and the R I Red have standard written for them as a breed. The various and sundry plethora of production reds, sex links of all contrived marketing names are just that, contrived strains of birds designed for top laying. There is no standard, thus nothing to measure them up against, and thus they're not breeds, just strains of production birds. I have many, many of them and truly enjoyed their high productivity selectively bred into them. Great egg laying mixes/mutts/hybrids. They'll put eggs in your basket.

Beyond that, a breed is much more than a color. It's standard is the measuring stick which details shape, head, comb, back line, breast line, tail, weight and dozens more features that make the bird a representative of the breed. The various mixes/hybrids can be called anything anyone wishes to call them, and so it is by those who sell them.

8. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I am totally fine with the crosses, mixed breeds, etc. All my dogs are rescues and mutts, I have a lot of full blood chickens, but love my crosses just as much. I show d'uccles abs cochin bantams. But I envoy the diversity of a mixed flock. All a personal preference I guess.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would call your red birds Production Reds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by