RIR or Pr Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmerChef, Apr 29, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Got these at the feed store, when you bought a 50 lb bag of feed, you got 10 free chicks. The lady doesn't know much about chickens and she said she thought they where RIR and Dominickers (Barred Rocks). I let her know that they where barred rocks, but I wasn;t sure on the Reds. Some are yellow, and some are orangy-red. Their adult feathers are coming in different colors. SOme look buff, some are red/black, and some are buff/white.

I'm thinking they are Production Reds or Sexlinks (she said they where straight run)
    Some of the different colors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The ones feathering in with dark grey/red/white are Rhode Island Reds. The ones feathering in light red are probably Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, Red Star, ISA Brown, etc.) or Buff Orpingtons (if they're Buff Orpingtons their down will be noticeably light colored, and there legs anf feet will be white/pink vs. yellow).

I wish my feed store had a deal like that!!!

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I think all three could be Production Reds and I think that number 3 is a rooster.

Chris

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    All three RIR in my opinion.

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I was wondering becuase I've never had any type of Reds. Their wings look so different I didn't know if they where all the same breed or not.

I have 9 total. (2 bags of food = 20 chicks) had 11 BRs, gave 2 to a friend, so now I have 9 BRs and 9 Reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by