RIR or Production reds & hen or roo?? 4mon old

afishel

Songster
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Spencer, Ind
I was told when i bought my 8 babies when they were week old they were ALL RIR PULLETS but I dont know and I am beginning to think I have production reds instead? no crowing though from any they r all 4 months old

this chix has combs and waddles b4 all the rest
63221_camden_jorgia_in_pumpkin_084.jpg

Same one as above
63221_camden_jorgia_in_pumpkin_061.jpg

few different ones here
63221_camden_jorgia_in_pumpkin_067.jpg

63221_camden_jorgia_in_pumpkin_057.jpg

I am clueless 1st time chix owner although I grew up w/ foghorn legghorns. Some have deep red combs and small waddles and some have pale combs and waddles!!???
ANY help would b greatly APPRECIATED
fl.gif

I really DO NOT want any roo's but i guess 1 would b ok

I thought more productions than rir and a sneaky feeling possibly1 was a roo?!?
is it not always true the roo's are lighter in feathers than hens besides the tails or is this not true at all ? what is it I hear about saddles and hackles w roo's

what about this 1 hen? I think??
63221_camden_jorgia_in_pumpkin_049.jpg

Last edited:
My 12 week old RIR pullet's comb & waddle are a lot smaller than that!!! But the chicken does look female to me, so I can see why you wonder! I'd say girl, RIR

yes u are correct productions are a cross btween rir and nh. the productions are slightly bigger than the rir and are and have better egg production (hence production reds) they make me think productions as they are slightly lighter than the rir. i took sum diff angles of the 1 in? i will upload and post the tail throws me off

But I have heard NO cockadoodle doooing!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom