RIR or Production

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mike73, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mike73

mike73 New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    Dry Prong La
    What is the dif between a RIR and a Production? Which is better around small children?

2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

Production RIR are usually the hatchery chicks, bred for egg production and not show standards, Heritage RIR's are bred to meet a spceific show standard and not egg production. You won't want rooster's of either type for your children and hens of either type can be very sweet and personable. I personally have never met a RIR of either type that I didn't like.

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    None of my RIR bantam roosters are mean. Now, the d'Anver roosters... that's another story. Not all roosters are mean. Take a chance on the breed you like. If no one chases and teases the roosters than they may not be agressive.

4. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I have two Heritage RIR roosters that are very gentle. They will both eat out of my hand and let me touch them. They are 21 weeks old now.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    My RI Reds are very gentle..
    [​IMG]

6. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I have done some research into this, and I will answer to the best of my knowlege.

The Production Red is basically the decendent of RIR crossed with Leghorns to produce a leaner bird that lays more eggs. Although you can use them as duel purpose they are not the best choice as they don't have a lot of meat on them.

The true RIR (aka heritage) are excelent duel purpose birds that lay a good amount of eggs and have a good amount of meat on them. They are a deeper color and are bigger then the Production Red.

I can't tell you which is better with small children as I have not owned either and from what I have read, there is no temperament difference between them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by