RIR or red sex link?

senorita05

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
This is my hen Hazel-Nugget (it's an odd name, I know). I'm not entirely sure what breed she is. My guess is a Rhode Island Red or Red sex link. I got her when she was supposed to be between 17-22 weeks. I have had her for a bit over a month now. I was hoping someone could identify the breed for me? And also tell me at what age her breed is supposed to lay eggs and what kind of layer they are?
Thanks in advance :)

Definitely a Red Sex Link pullet. They typically begin laying anywhere from 20-24 weeks. Sometimes a little earlier, once in a while a little layer. You should start getting eggs soon and you will get loads of them from her as RSLs are egg laying machines. :eek:)

I also thought she was a red sex link, but the person I got it off said it could be a Isa Brown? He didn't seem too sure though

I also thought she was a red sex link, but the person I got it off said it could be a Isa Brown? He didn't seem too sure though

Isa Brown is a Red Sex Link. It is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. Other labels under which Red Sex Links are marketed include Red Star, Gold Star, Brown Sex Link, Gold Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc., but no matter which label they are marketed under, they are all Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting hybrid offspring can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are all egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Thank you :)

You're welcome. There is also a Black Sex Link, which is produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen (usually a Barred Rock). Like Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are black with a white spot on top of their heads, female chicks are solid black), and like Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. Black Sex Links are sometimes marketed by hatcheries under the labels Black Star or Bovans Nera. Sex linking is a fascinating phenomenon.

I have 3 RSL's in our mixed flock. Your girl looks just like the darker one I have (2 of them are lighter red). All 3 of them began laying this month around 20-21 weeks of age. Their eggs are great...BIG, dark brown eggs and since they began laying, none of the 3 have missed a day yet.

Hope you're enjoying your birds as much as we enjoy ours!

You're welcome. There is also a Black Sex Link, which is produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen (usually a Barred Rock). Like Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are black with a white spot on top of their heads, female chicks are solid black), and like Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. Black Sex Links are sometimes marketed by hatcheries under the labels Black Star or Bovans Nera. Sex linking is a fascinating phenomenon.

Yes I had a black sex link before. She was an egg laying machine and was so well behaved. Before she would lay her egg, she would knock on the back door and wait for us to take her in so she could lay her egg. I miss her :( I had to give her away

Back
Top Bottom