RIR? or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by XxB0rd3rsxX10, Jul 27, 2011.

1. XxB0rd3rsxX10

XxB0rd3rsxX10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    i have two pullets (i am 100% sure on that one) but i dont know if they are RIR or not
    what do you think?

this is them as chicks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is them now at 5 months
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks it to me, but not sure if rir have yellow legs or not, pretty birds btw

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Pretty. Hatchery chicks, I presume?

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    maybe production reds? seem too dark for RSL.

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    looks like every RIR hatchery chick we've every gotten [​IMG]

6. XxB0rd3rsxX10

Jul 13, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Pretty. Hatchery chicks, I presume?

thanks, i got them from tractor supply and the were in a brooder with a bunch ramdom chicks​

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, they are hatchery RIR. Yours are nice and on the dark side, with nice yellow legs. Of course, none of our TSC type RIR are show quality, nor up to the Standard of Perfection for the breed, but still. Healthy, friendly and lay great eggs. That is what hatchery stock is all about. Enjoy them.

8. XxB0rd3rsxX10

Jul 13, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Yes, they are hatchery RIR. Yours are nice and on the dark side, with nice yellow legs. Of course, none of our TSC type RIR are show quality, nor up to the Standard of Perfection for the breed, but still. Healthy, friendly and lay great eggs. That is what hatchery stock is all about. Enjoy them.

i wasnt planning on using them for show, but i would like to some day use one of my chickens for show. what makes good show birds, i would really like to have show birds one day. would my crested polish roo make a good show bird? i got him from a freind who "said" she got the mom and dad from a show,
    here is a pic

[​IMG]

tell me what you think​

9. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:i wasnt planning on using them for show, but i would like to some day use one of my chickens for show. what makes good show birds, i would really like to have show birds one day. would my crested polish roo make a good show bird? i got him from a freind who "said" she got the mom and dad from a show,
    here is a pic

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99818_045.jpg

tell me what you think

I'm not all that versed in the Polish sop, but that looks like a nice buff laced roo! His lacing is well defined, his wings carried well, and his tail isn't pinched at all. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether his back posture should be more vertical. Hopefully someone more in the know will come along and set me straight if I'm way off.

10. XxB0rd3rsxX10

Jul 13, 2011
    Quote:i wasnt planning on using them for show, but i would like to some day use one of my chickens for show. what makes good show birds, i would really like to have show birds one day. would my crested polish roo make a good show bird? i got him from a freind who "said" she got the mom and dad from a show,
    here is a pic

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99818_045.jpg

tell me what you think

I'm not all that versed in the Polish sop, but that looks like a nice buff laced roo! His lacing is well defined, his wings carried well, and his tail isn't pinched at all. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether his back posture should be more vertical. Hopefully someone more in the know will come along and set me straight if I'm way off.

thanks for your help anyways [​IMG] , you seem to know a lot about chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by