1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR Pullet (18 weeks old)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmeeks, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dmeeks

dmeeks New Egg

Nov 11, 2008
    I have a RIR pullet with a distended or impacted crop. It has appeared this way for the past several days. She is just beginning to be off her feed. I have wormed them once a month. Any suggestions?

David Meeks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dont let her eat anything for a couple of days! The first day, nothing but water with apple cider vinegar in it, a Tablespoon to a gallon. Massage the crop, but not upward. Give her bread soaked in oil or syringe veg oil into her mouth before the massage. Dont let her eat anything but soft stuff like scrambled eggs and active culture yogurt for a couple days after that.
    Worming them once a month is WAY too much. You'll never be able to eat their eggs if you use chemical wormers that often. My three year old flock has been chemically wormed twice, period. And only because I saw a worm in poop.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Speckled hen pretty much summed it all up. Massage seems key in recovery though so be sure to do it several times per day. I had a chick with this problem and he's fine now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by