RIR Pullet OR Cockerel ???

deb3627

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Deep South Texas
I'm beginning to think that one of my (6) 24 week old Pullets is a Cockerel...Has the head and waddles of a Roo, but the BODY of a Pullet.. I have never heard it Crow or even try to crow. I have never as of yet seen it try and Mount any of the Pullets or even act like it wants too. I have never seen it on the nest yet sitting either..I have been getting 5 eggs a day most of the time..It has No Tall or Colorful tail feathers like Most Roos do, or pretty feathers that flow off around the rump and neck area as a Roo usually has.. I'm just stumped on this one because it's head looks just like a Roo...I'm looking on here to see where I can add a photo and can't seem to find it, I know that would help.. Sighhhhhhh

When you click reply at the top of where you write is an icon bar, you will see a paperclip, 2icons to the left is a picture looking one, hover your mouse over this and it will say 'insert image' click on it and follow instructions.

It is sooo confusing at first, but dont worry you will get the hang of it!!
Good Luck
big_smile.png

I have inserted Pictures before on here, but I don't see ANYWHERE I can do it now... ??? There is no PaperClip Icon or Image Icon either.. Hmmmmmm

Finally I got my options to come up.. had to get out of AOL and go to Internet Explorer.. Geeeezzzzzz... Anyways..this is a picture of the Pullet/Cockerel I'm talking about.. Lil Booger wouldn't hold still long enough to let me get a picture of his/her Body..Just looking at the head, I know you will think it's a Cockerel.. I'll try and go out to get a better picture of the rest of his body.. Which do you think it is so far?? Also, have you ever seen a Pullet Mount another Pullet?? I Have one doing this that I KNOW is a Pullet..

Check out the comb and wattles on this Jersey Giant pullet at point of lay. Impressive huh?

This is her brother-same hatch date. Big difference huh?

RIR who are bred for high egg production are famous for exaggerated secondary sex characteristics-fancy way of saying those high production girls get big wattles and comb.

Since my JGs came from a hatchery and were bred for egg production not body size, some of them really developed large comb and wattles.

From what you describe I'd suspect you have a pullet getting ready to lay her first egg!

Last edited:
My production red had a pretty big comb, my leghorn's is huge. Without any other signs pointing towards roo I'd bet yours is a pullet.

Yours seems to be a pullet from the picture. My RIR/Production Red had a comb even bigger than that :)

YIPEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY after 26 weeks.. we got an egg from the chicken we were not sure of being a Pullet or a Roo.... now we are getting 6 out 6 eggs a day most of the time... : ) Thanks for all the help.. all of you were right!

Back
Top Bottom