RIR Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lone Star Chick, May 1, 2016.

1. Lone Star Chick

Lone Star Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Hello,

Please forgive me, I have posted the "Roo or pullet?" question once already on this particular bird, Little Red, at 7 weeks old, then updated at 9 weeks.
    I received lots of great advice at 7 weeks, to wait a little longer. When I updated at 9 weeks, I got 1 pullet/1 roo vote. I think Little Red was just too young both times.
    Well, Red is 11 weeks old today (She/he was born on Valentine's day[​IMG]). I have all new pictures, and am STILL going back and forth on roo or pullet. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Aside from updating, I promise to make this my last post on this topic for this bird.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. HOPEFULLY she/he is old enough to get some hard answers now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If needed, I can try to get a picture of Red's "sister" for comparison. She's more flighty, and a heck of a lot harder to get a good picture of. But Little Red does have bigger feet/lets, and is a tad bigger than her.

2. raisingdaisies

raisingdaisies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    From my little experience of 3 RIR pullets now and 2 males last year I'd say cockerel. My 3 month old pullets have no where near the comb or wattles.

3. Lone Star Chick

Mar 6, 2016
    Thank you!! I thought I saw saddle feathers starting to come in, and "he" is super shiny in spots,the feathers almost look wet or greasy. But I still was confused, lol.

4. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah those shiny feathers on the back says boy, but I see why you were a little confused.

5. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    My heavens, he is a pretty one!!!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel.

7. Lone Star Chick

Mar 6, 2016
    Thanks Y'all!! I guess I can officially call him my little man now[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by