1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR Pullets or Roo's????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlady81, Sep 14, 2008.

1. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    Im having some trouble figuring out what sex these RIR's are. Here are the pictures :) Anyone have any insight?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are between 16-18 weeks of age from my calulations and I was thinking maybe they are getting ready to lay? I havent heard any of them crowing so I was thinking they are Pullets???

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Looks like pullets to me. My girls looked that way at that age. Plus if they were roos you would have an unhappy neighbor [​IMG]

3. chickenlady81

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    Well I have four Roo's of a different breed. The neighbor is really far away from me so I dont hear any complants :)
    Im hoping I got mostly pullets but wanted to make sure. When did your girls start laying?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My RIR rooster is over 19 weeks now and is just getting his "rooster" feathers in now and still hasn't crowed.

5. chickenlady81

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    PBJ do you happen to have any pictures? I guess Im going to have to wait to find out? Thanks for the info..Im still learning but this is going to be my breed. I'm hoping to hatch my own eggs sometime in the spring

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The top one and the bottom pics could be roos, I suppose time will tell.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's a pic of Rhodey, my RIR roo, at 17 wks. old. His comb, wattles, and legs are much bigger than your RIR's are. Yours are definitely all pullets! My RIR girls started laying at ages 19 to 22 wks. old. Hang in there! Yours are close! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to come back and add one more pic of Rhodey standing upright at that same age. Notice how his tail stands straight up and the green in his tail feathers?!?! Yours do not have the green and the do not stand upright, so your safe. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Here is Rosie - was sexed as a pullet so hence the name. He actually responds to it so he will forever be known as "Rosie Rooster". He seems to molting and the white rooster behind him was notorious for grabbing tail feathers - so his feathers aren't in prime condition in this photo from a week ago. The white rooster no longer lives here (he also used to swing my 10 week old banties around)...

[​IMG]

9. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I think the bottom pic may be a roo- looks like this chicken has saddle feathers coming in, and some green tail feathers. Side views are easier to judge. Can you get side views of the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by