RIR pullets or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cropduster, Feb 29, 2016.

1. cropduster

cropduster New Egg

Feb 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New ro the fourm and still learning alot about raiaing my chickens.My wife picked up to RIR yesterday fir our kids. She forgot to ask the age of the birds but waa tols they were hens. I don't know what to look for ti tell the age or the aex of the birds. Really hoping their hens my kids can't wait ti get the eggs. I plan on getting another 4 birds in the next couple weeks. Really don't want baby chicks but would like to have them about 6-8wwwks old. What should i look for to insure I'm getting females. Any information would help. Thanks ans GOD BLESS

2. BittyBantamMom6

BittyBantamMom6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Atoka TN
    That pic is looking like a little roo, but watch the tail, comb, and back feathers. If the tail feathers curl, the comb grows big, and the back feathers become long and slender, and drape down the sides, you have a boy. If the comb stays smaller, the tail stays straight, and the back feathers look like the rest of the body feathers it's a girl.

3. BittyBantamMom6

BittyBantamMom6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Atoka TN
    I found a reference picture of these birds for you. I hope it helps.
    [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerels

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and I hate to be a 'downer', but I agree - they appear to be cockerels.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by