RIR question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rancher hicks, Jul 17, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have the new ALBC book and it mentions RIR's but seems to define them as two different types. Historical and production or something like that. Can anyone tell me the difference. It has the same definition for "leghorns" too.

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hi...

There are Hartige RIR, and Production RIR yes, the main difference is there colour of mahogony

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Production type Rhode Island Reds that they are talking about are the Reds that you would get from a hatchery.
    "Historical" Reds would be the Reds that are bred to the American Standard of Perfection (the type you would get from a good breeder).
    It is like comparing Apples and Oranges. A good non-hatchery Red is a lot bigger, darker, and shaped different (they look like a brick with legs, head and a tail).

Chris

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks I intend to get soem rosecombs in the spring if I can find decent meat/egg birds.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes like Chris said, there is a big difference in Production and Heritage RIRs, and yes, leghorns are the same, Production leghorns have a bit differnt shape and flow than exhibition strain Leghorns. I think it would be kinda difficult to find exhibition strain leghorns. And really its the same with most any breed, if you get birds from a hatchery, they are basicly going to be production strains, the will be more productive, but since thats all that hatcheries breed for and not to the standards, they will lack the size, shape, and historical value of well bred breeder/show quality strains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by