RIR roo + BO or Leghorn or BS or EE = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FuzzyButtsFarm, Oct 12, 2010.

1. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have a RIR roo. What would I get if he was crossed with a BO, Leghorn, Black Star or EE. I searched the past posts and thought if I posted this it would be faster.[​IMG]
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You would get a very nice laying chicken, usually referred to as a barnyard mix. The cross breeds wouldn't "be" anything, not like a sex-link. You'd probably get a great variety of colors, that's a big reason many of us like to mix breeds.
  3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I believe with the white leghorn hen you should get sex-link chicks, but don't quote me on that. The others would more than likely be some shade of red or buff.
  4. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    Quote:Ya, it is nothing serious...You can also have fancy chicken..[​IMG]
  5. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Quote:A quick Google search says that White Leghorns are a dominate white genes without silver genes so that wouldn't result in a sexlink. For people interested in the genetics of sexlinks take a look at the Sex- linked Information topic
  6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Thanks to all you wonderful BYC people. [​IMG] I'm not trying to breed anything special. I was just curious to find out what the chicks will look like. I have 20 eggs in the bater and due to hatch on Halloween. Thanks Lensters for the link which I will be saving. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by