RIR roo bred w/BR, BO & LS= ????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stevin, Aug 3, 2010.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    a dark RIR roo bred with a barred rock = Black Sex Link, that much i know.

but the same roo bred with a buff orp = Red Sex Link....? i'm really not sure
    and the same bred with a Light Sussex = Red Sex Link....? still not sure....

has anyone tried the RIR x BO or the RIR x LS? did they end up being sex linked?
    anyone have pics of these crosses?

thanx

2. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    according to Strombergs Their red sex links are RIR male - Delaware Female and their production red is RIR male- New Hampshire Female. Buff Orpingtons are only considered medium production layers. I totally disagree with that. Our Buffs are the best layers we've ever had. Anyways hope it helps answer the question. I know all hatcheries do their sex links different

3. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Oh and Gold sex links are RIR male- RI White female

4. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    I have a chick that is a cross between RIR roo, and BO hen. It's coloring is golden. Like the 2 colors blended. Pretty chick.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    R.I. Red Rooster over a Buff Orp. Hen should give you a Buff color offspring
    R.I. Red Rooster over a Light Sussex Hen will give you a Red Sex-link (cockerels yellow and pullets red)
    Here is a link all on Sex-links there is a ton of crosses that will produce a Red Sex-link and a Black Sex-link..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by