RIR Roo or Hen? Attacked by fox protecting...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrookedAcresChick, Sep 12, 2009.

1. CrookedAcresChick

CrookedAcresChick Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Charlton, NY
    Hi guys! Any advice on gender here? This lil' baby got attacked by a fox just after we took these. It was behind my other 4 ~ protecting? (We let our chickens free range.
    I've thought it may be a roo for a while... but still not sure. MOST importantly, I let my dog out when I saw the chicken in the foxes mouth... and he attacked the fox. Chicky ran in the house, Doggy got a blueberry muffin... and the fox is nowhere to be found!
    Happy day here as our babies are all safe! Can you tell if this one is a boy or girl? I've heard that if they squat when petted... they're girls. This one does... but it was odd that it stayed behind to let the others get away.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It looks like it might have rooster hackles but it is hard to tell. I couldn't see any saddle feathers and the tail feathers aren't rooster like.

I think that the squat when petted is folklore.

How old is it.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    looks like a production red hen..

Chris

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm thinking hen too. There isn't anything about that chicken that says rooster to me.

In the absence of a rooster, a head hen can step up and take the roosters place with very similar rooster type behavior.

Glad all ended well with the fox attack. Be on red alert now, because it now knows where the buffet is and will be back.

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I completely agree. Nothing rooish about that chicken. Has the obvious round shape of a hen. RIR's, hen or not, cane have pretty large combs anyways. But she could also be a Red Sex-Link(a.k.a Red Star, Golden Comet, etc. all are the same)

Just wanted to comment that her feathering looks very nice in those pics. [​IMG]

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    She is a hen... and looks to be golden comet or other sexlink not RIR(they're a lot darker and redder)

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I agree.

8. tdkmom

tdkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Rural Valley, PA
    Me too. RIR are much darker and she definitely looks like a hen.

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    hen

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I vote hen, too. Lucky girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by