1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sbendorf, Apr 26, 2016.

1. sbendorf

sbendorf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Is the bottom chick a roo?

[​IMG]

2. sbendorf

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is a more recent pic. She/He is about 5 weeks now.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Helps if you say how old. [​IMG] By that limited view, it could be male, only because I think I see pink and I believe they're too young for that unless it's a male. A photo of the full body in natural light, without glare or flash, is best for sexing photos.

4. sbendorf

Apr 26, 2016

Thanks! This is my first post[​IMG]. I did add another photo in replies shortly before you commented but maybe it hadn't posted yet. Here is a more recent photo of him/her. This chick is about 5 weeks.[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Okay, this helps. It's a cockerel.

BTW, welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. sbendorf

Apr 26, 2016
    Bummer. I can't have roosters in my neighborhood. This particular fellow has what I have researched to be wry neck. I've been nursing him back to health with little results so far. I don't think anyone is going to want him in this state. Suggestions welcome!!

7. sbendorf

Apr 26, 2016
    Bummer. This poor guy has wry neck too. That definitely doesn't help in rehoming. Not to mention I have grown quite attached after trying to nurse him back to health. We are going on a week of this with no change in symptoms. He can eat and drink on his own but still has episodes where he walks backwards and his neck goes all over the place. So sad.

8. speckledhen

Hmm, very odd. You rarely hear of a RIR with that, mostly Silkies, also called stargazer's syndrome. That is a vitamin deficiency, but it may be something else entirely. If he's that bad, you know what I'm going to say, right? Hard enough to rehome a healthy cockerel. I know what you mean about becoming attached to the ones you have to pay the most attention to, though. Makes it all the harder.

9. sbendorf

Apr 26, 2016

10. sbendorf

Apr 26, 2016
    Did I also mention these chickens are my first[​IMG]? I think I may know what you are saying. Does he need to be euthanized? Do vets do that or are you saying we should do it here[​IMG]? He seems happy but definitely looks crazy when he has an episode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by