RIR Roo or Production Red Roo?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by K9ThorsMom, Sep 20, 2011.

1. K9ThorsMom

K9ThorsMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    Pinellas County, FL
    Sorry guys, newbie here...this beautiful 6 month old roo was sold to me at approx 8 weeks of age as a RIR pullet (haha)...nonetheless, as I'm trying to rehome him to a home that won't eat him, it's being questioned as to what breed he is...the pics kinda suck, as they were taken on my phone in both the sunlight and shade...the 2 hens with him are his sisters...one darker, and one lighter...the one person that was interested in him for her RIR breeding program, and questioned his breed, which I totally understand...I'm not sure where the people I got him from got their stock, so I'm guessing it's possibly I may have mixed lines?! Thoughts? Oh, and anyone in FL interested in this beautiful boy?! I'll happily drive him to the perfect home!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Most people will indeed call him a Rhode Island Red.

Technically, the term Production Red differs among each person, but a widely used definition of it puts that rooster as a Production Red. Production Reds can indeed mean a Rhode Island Red from (hatchery) strains bred solely for egg production, being that a more heritage/normal type Rhode Island Red would look and weigh different. (bigger bird, darker color, more square shaped body, tail not so high and prominent, etc)

So, the name is up to you. [​IMG]

3. K9ThorsMom

K9ThorsMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    Pinellas County, FL
    Thank you! I was soooo happy to have finally possibly found him a home where he wouldn't be eaten (I got too dang attached to what I knew was a roo from the beginning...I'm a sucker)...she hasn't outright said she DOESN'T want him, but I guess we shall see...he's such a good boy to his girls...not too bad to me (yet) but he is protective of the ladies! Hopefully the person will still be interested in him, as I'm sure he will throw some beautiful babies! (and he can stop trying to breed with his sisters!!! LOL) Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by