1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR Roo over Dominique Hens = Black Sexlinks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CluckyJay, Mar 3, 2012.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    That would produce black sexlinks with rosecombs, right? I swear, I am writing this stuff down so I can stop pestering you guys with stupid questions on genetics!

Would they be good egglayers? I have a dommie that is trying to go broody and I was gonna let her, lol.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    that´s right.. all of the chicks will come out black.. but only the ones with a spot on their head will be barred and those chicks will be boys....

[​IMG]

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks so much. Oh man I hope she hatches them. I am gonna sell them as quick as they pip I bet, LOL. It is so nice for spring to be getting here. All the animals are playing and sunning themselves!

Thanks again! I hope they do have rose combs!

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    as long as the rose comb parent its pure for rosecomb then all of the chick will be.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They will be sex-linked yes, but as for comb a lot depends on if the parents are pure for comb type.
    If the parent stock is from a hatchery then the Dominique is most likely to carries single comb so there is a good chance of seeing a few single combs popping up.

Chris

6. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    We'll see what happens when they hatch out. This is of course if she stays broody. I don't seem to have any luck in that department! lol

I need to get them all in with their own breeds this year. I want pure lines for myself.

The dommie roo is after the hens too, I should be able to tell the difference between the chicks at hatch, right? The look so similar in pictures. think I made a booboo letting them run together, lol.

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    well that´s big mistake there... atleast if you get chicks without head spot you will know they are hens..(but you will not be able to spot the hens with the head spot that were sired by that loose dominique roo.)

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I think my best bet is selling them as a barnyard special with some sexed LOL. I'll just pen a few hens with the dommie roo and hatch the eggs out after a few weeks. Just don't think about this stuff til spring gets here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by