RIR roo over white leghorn hen.

Quote:
Most White Leghorns are silver based black masked by dominant white so breeding a RIR roo to them should give you white chicks with some black dots and they will probably get all little bit of red leakage as they mature.

Wow, you are spot on. Thats exactly what my birds looked like and grew up to be like. But I got more than just a little red leakage, 40% of the bird is red. I wanted to make sure my cross was rir over leghorn.

white chicks with black dots

Mature into white roosters with red leakage, white hens still with black dots = unfortunately this color change isn't sexable until it's already obvious who is who

Chicks:
25561_613374695581_55007926_34708055_4081445_n.jpg

RIRxWLeghorn pullets:
SANY1098.JPG

RIRxWLeghorn cockerels (far back left, far right)
SANY1130.JPG

I made this cross over 50 years ago and got the same results as Tala. The hens had more of the type of a leghorn and were excellent layers. They also were excellent at brooding and raising chicks.

Quote:
Sorry to hijack, but Tala, I LOVE the RIR? cockeral up front in your pic! I had a little RIR cockeral that was my absolute pet named "Stewie" who I adored and he was the friendliest little bugger I ever met! Sadly he passed away but I will never forget him...your RIR in the pic looks like he would have looked right about now.

Sorry for the intrusion! Carry on.

Quote:
Leghorns are not always extended black and can be birchen. The male birds that show large amounts of red are birchen/wheaten heterozygotes. Males that are extended black/wheaten heterozygotes will show red on the shoulders and wings. As the bird gets older, the color will sometimes extend into the back . The amount of red is pretty variable in the males. Tala's birds look like the hybrid white leghorns I have had in the past. Female birds ( RIR male x white leghorn) usually do not show the red but if the females are the correct E locus they will show some red on the head and breast. If a female happens to inherit the dark brown gene- the anterior (head) half or more of the bird will be a buff color. As chicks the birds are white with a buff face or buff head.

Tim

Quote:
I've hatched a hen like that before too Tim from a Cornish cross hen with a Buff Orp roo. The Cornish cross hens from my experience give pretty much the same crossing results as the White Leghorns and the pullet I hatched had a buff face as a chick and grew up to habe her head, neck, and front half buff and the the back was white. She was a BEAUTIFUL bird.

We have several compliments of my broody white leghorn hen..yes I know but she has never read the rules
lol.png
I have found the roosters have much more red leakage than the pullets which mostly have the black dots.My roos started the same way but got the red as they got older..hatched in July now and lots of beautiful color...1 is like yours and 1 we have even has more color.Instead of making them chicken soup I'm going to cross them back trying to get more of a hardy great layer since my legs are having it real rough this winter.

Quote:
The more leakage in the males would be the same as like when you cross a red with a black or a birchin like Tim said. You may get some hens that are solid black or have little leakage and the roos are mostly black but usually develope a good bit of red leakage. So its the same in this case but with using leghorns, the Dominant white maskes the black and only shows the red leakage.

Back
Top Bottom