RIR Roo Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dogzrule5, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I have just taken in four little RIRs about 4 weeks of age, one of which is a roo. I've never had RIRs before but have been told that the roos of this breed can be quite fiesty.

How concerned should I be? Is it like everything else - the amount of handling and attention, etc. that makes the difference? [​IMG]

These babies haven't been handled at all and are quite wild.

Thanks for your help and advice.
    Phyllis

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would try slowly to handle them and work with them and give them treasts. They will come around. If they are handled and cuddled maybe your Roo will be gentle. There is always a chance that any Roo can be Feisty but with more handling maybe you will have a shot at having a great cuddly one.

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well RIR roos are known for being mean, but work w/ him and he should coma around somewhat it worked for my RIR hen, Chick-o-stick

4. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    AngelMarie, that's what I heard too! All I need is another rooster - I have four grown ones already. Only one is a little snotty but he's small, so I can handle him. B/C I have so many, I've had to rearrange everything so I can keep the hens and one tiny rooster separated from the other three roosters. What a pain in the rear - but overall, it makes life easier for me and them so was worth the labor (not to mention all the scratches from handling the wire)!

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    lol i know! extreme labour, but for some reason we'll move heaven and earth just to hear that happy cluck [​IMG] yea i really do think they're brain washing us [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    RIR pullets or hens are very friendly and can make up with you quickly just keep giving them attention...

RIR roosters are a totally different thing...Mine I raised started out very nice when he was young but became overly protective of the hens and attacked anything that crossed his path..our dogs, the cats and DH & I...Then it was time to go!!...

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    My RIR roos have all been calm except for one and he was fine until I decided to pick up a hen and "show" her how to walk up a plank walkway. She went to squawking and he juumped me. He never trusted me much after that.

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    My RIR roo was awesome. Very nosey and made me nervous in the hen house because he had to see what I was doing. I always thought one day while I was bent over he was going to decide that I didn't need to get the eggs that day. Other than that he was a doll. Very good to his girls and a gorgeous bird in all.

9. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    I have had two wonderful RIR roosters. I start when they are little and work with them on manners. Handle them and when they get older start pushing them away from the food and let the hens eat. That way you are telling him that you are head cheese. I do this with all of my rooster and haven't had a mean one yet knock on wood. I read this in Chicken 101 and have done it since. I still do it with my king rooster and all the others I have too.

Since I free range I have to have roosters that will get along with people. If they didn't they would be stew meat.

Hope this helps.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It depends on the individual rooster, mine is great with people.

Check out my roo behavior page, the link is in my sig line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by