RIR Roo VS Buff Orpington Roo

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mountainpridefarm, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mountainpridefarm

mountainpridefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    I just got two free roosters from an ad on craigslist. Two really nice 6 month old guys - no spurs yet. They were from McMurray but they are HUGE! Anyway I am debating on which one will go in the freezer and which one will stay with the girls. Eggs, are great but meat is equally as great. 50/50. The RIR is really well muscled and believe it or not is much friendlier. The orpington looks huge but he is really fluffy. I have production reds so I am not sure which will be better to go with them

ALSO --- They are about twice the size of my hens and they are REALLY mean to them. Just brought them home tonight so the coop is dark. Wondering what I will wake up to....will they kill my girls?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm not sure we're in the right section for this, but i don't think i would've recommended throwing them in with the girls without a quarantine period and then an introduction period - so that no one gets killed the first night together.

I hope everyone turns out o.k.

I haven't eaten b.o.s yet, but i have eaten rir. Very good, but i would hurry and butcher him. I think he's probably going to have to be soup for you. But he'll be good soup.

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    i love orpington KILL THE RED.

4. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    I Love Red, Kill The Orpington!

5. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    Quote:I am asking about meat qualities??

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I am asking about meat qualities??

Yes i know.

I meant that my comments about quarantining, etc., might not be in the right section. I wasn't saying that your question was in the wrong section.

Sorry to be confusing. [​IMG]

7. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    ok do this kill the red if u like it then buy more reds remember it was a red stick to what u like and if u din't like it at least u know u don't like chicken spare the orpington u r already in lovewith him anyway [​IMG]

8. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    The orpington is the meaner one!!

9. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    then is a no brainer who would you trust on caring for ur hens the mean one or the wimp

10. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    Well the orpington is mean to me not really the hens. I care more about which one will make better DP crosses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by