RIR roo with white shanks!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by toad62, Feb 12, 2013.

1. toad62

toad62 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Wibaux, Mt
    I picked up some RIR roos with the idea of using a couple of them for this years breeding. Two have yellow shanks and two have shite shanks, are the white shanked roos production reds, or would anyone have some ideas? I am weeding out any with crooked toes or any other physical abnormality. Looking to improve the productivity of the hens. thanks for any help or replies......

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yeah, you were given production reds, or some similar hybrid. Usually that's the result of crossing Orpington blood into the line to maintain size while still utilizing leghorns for production.

Can you post a picture of these birds? How is the coloration on them (like are they penny colored, or deep mahogany brown?)

3. toad62

toad62 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Wibaux, Mt
    They are just a bit lighter than the rir with the yellow shanks. If they are the production reds, I would get better results with the yellow shanks, right? Or more consistent results...

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    What kind of results are you going for? Breeding for showing? Breeding for egg production? Meat production?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by