RIR roo??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lunabyrd, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Lunabyrd

Lunabyrd New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    So these chicks are about 3 weeks old, and I have one that seems to be much larger and more mature, combs much more developed and beginning to develop a wattle. He/she just seems different ....

What do you think?

first one is the suspect ....

[​IMG]

this is what most others look like....

[​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Close chick in pic 1 is a roo

background chick in pic 2..maybe need a profile picture

3. Lunabyrd

Lunabyrd New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    What would one do if they needed to get rid of a rooster ..?? Post it on craigslist? I live in the city where roosters are not allowed. [​IMG]

Here is suspect number 2 that you pointed out in the second picture. It's not as big as the other ....

[​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Chicks develop at different rates, even from the same hatch. Todays monster could be tomorrows runt. I wouldn't hazzard a guess at this point. I do love when they get all ratty looking at this stage. If they were mine I would be hoping rooster though. Nothing nicer than a big, proud RIR Rooster strutting in the sunlight.

5. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Suspect 1: ROO
    Suspect 2: Pullety looking, but could be roo

6. Lunabyrd

Lunabyrd New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Should I wait till a certain age before making assumptions? When is it safe to be sure?

Thanks for the advice!

7. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Yeah i'm in the same boat as you... I just found out I have a roo too

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:The easiest way is to wait until you see it lay an egg, or hear it crow! Sure fire at that point....

9. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    When I got my started pullets, they were 17 weeks old. Some had huge red combs, and some had "barely there" combs. Yours could be hens developing at different rates? Mine all have combs that look exactly alike now, and they all started laying within days of each other.

10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:keep them until they crow and then off to freezer camp. They will be very tastey. Check out the meat bird subforum on how to take care of things yourself. oh, and only name your roos "dinner" no need to get attached to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by