RIR rooster and possible sex linked chicks.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by browning6, Jul 29, 2013.

1. browning6

browning6 Chirping

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I am wondering what are the possibilites for Sex linked crosses with a RIR roo.

I have read the entire Sex linked post and it is great but i still have some questions.

I have some delaware hens which i know will work. But the silver laced wyandottes are not listed with the RIR rooster as a viable SL cross but they do carry the silver gene. So i am confused.

I also have silver laced cochins. Do they carry the silver gene? Can they be used in a SL cross with a RIR roo.

And what is the concensus on the best crosses for sex linked hens?

Last question. Are cinnimon queens, red star, golden comet etc. specific crosses (ex. RIR with delaware or RIR with RIW) or are those just hatchery names for their specific blood lines?

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    rir over sl wyandotte is a cinnamon queen.

i think silver laced cochins would make something along the line of a feather legged cinnamon queen but it may not be a great layer. but this is just a guess.

the crosses are supposed to be done between specific breeds for specific names - but thats not always true in recent years.

the silver gene makes white chicken breeds chicks a smokey gray color.

as a rule of thumb for sex linking, you want to choose to excellent egg laying breeds. if your not looking for meat birds, pick smaller framed females; this will help your feed conversion.

your rir should be from heritage lines. most hatchery lines will mess up the sex link process.

3. browning6

browning6 Chirping

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    thank you so much. Much needed information.

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    you are welcome, but i didnt answer one question.

i like to put RIR over barred rock. the chicks are easy to tell, excellent layers of large eggs. and the cockerels are big enough for meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by