RIR rooster attacked by stray dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowgirlup07, Nov 13, 2014.

1. cowgirlup07

cowgirlup07 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    My sons rooster "Bird Bird" who is free range along with my other birds, was attacked today. I know the dogs and they are thankfully UTD on vaccines, they always cause problems with local farmers but I'm unsure on how to clean wounds on chickens since I am fairly new to chickens in general. They've already killed 3 of my birds but I think met their match with this guy. He's got several bald spots that are seeping blood, nothing that's emergency level (I'm here for advice until I can call my vet in the morning) he's having trouble with his right wing also. I know these pictures aren't too good, I'll try to get better pics in the daylight. I have him in a large dog crate with a soft warm bed and a blanket over the cage in my garage since it's in the 20's wind chill I think is in the upper teens. Anyways, how do I clean his wounds? He's fairly gentile, I can handle and pick him up without issues. Is there an OTC antibiotic safe for him? He's very special to us and if the vet says bring him in he will be going. Until he heals he will just have to get exercise on a leash so we don't chance further injury or death. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor guy, you could clean off his wounds with saline solution or betadine. Then apply Neosporin (NO Caine ) . Do check him over well ,looking for any puncture wounds and signs of infection. Chickens generally have great recuperative powers and survive some gruesome wounds. You want to be sure your rooster is warm enough, and has a nice quiet, darkened area to recuperate. Keep watch in case he goes into shock.

You may want to post in detail about him at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. He may want to drink before he tries to eat something, so provide water for him.

Please keep us updated on his condition - we really do get concerned and appreciate knowing.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BTW the irresponsible dog owner should be reported to animal control or police. Has he made any restitution to you or other farmers? In many states if dogs attack your stock, you are completely allowed to shoot them.

Or at least catch the dogs if possible and take them to an animal shelter a good distance away. If the owner has to pay to get them back, it may wake up his brain.

If you can't do anything about him - you have to beef up your coop and run to prevent more slaughter. Please check out the predator section of BYC for advice on doing so.

4. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    When I see the dogs again, I am shooting them both. The sheriff said because I have no proof aside from me seeing the dogs kill and drag off 1 of my new ISA Brown hens as I was pulling into my driveway, there's nothing they can do. These dogs have even gotten after my horses. Alothough that was a lucky encounter since 2 are 1300+ lbs and the foal being around 500-600lbs all being mares they are temperamental and ran the dogs off.

I did go to the dog owner several times including taking Bird Bird to show them tonight, they said "sorry, chickens shouldn't be running loose" my birds don't cross the fence line unless they are after a bug then they come right back home. My reponse to him was "well sorry dogs shouldn't be running loose either and will be shot if caught on my property again" the dogs live approx 2/3 of a mile from my house, my direct neighbors have lost countless roosters hens chicks ducks and geese due to the same idiot dogs. They always chase neighboring cattle. I'm surprised they are still alive to be honest.

5. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    Enough on that rant, I apologize. If bird bird gets too chilled, I'm country, I don't mind a grown rooster in my bathroom with the heater. No worse than having chilled foals or calves in the house, is it? Lol

6. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    Bird Bird made it through the night, now his rooster friends are standing guard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by