RIR Rooster crowing alllllll night. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dayna Robertson, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Dayna Robertson

Dayna Robertson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    So I live in Hawaii, our in AG land. No street lights, etc.

I have a RIR rooster that crows, literally ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

Sometimes he'll even crow continuously for over an hour at a time. Usually he crows for 10-15 minutes about every hour or so.

Homes in my area of Hawaii do not have insulation. That means every noise outside can be heard inside.

I can close my windows though it gets hot and doesn't really knock the sound down. I have tried ear plugs, they do not block the sound (he's really loud!) and also have a sound machine that runs at night. Again, even with all these together, his crows disturb out sleep to a point where we are ready to put him down.

BUT, he's a very good rooster. He takes care of his flock of 30ish hens and offspring.

My chickens are 100% free range, not cooped at all. They sleep either up against the house, in nest boxes or perched in trees at night.

I did try putting a collar on him to make the crows smaller but he didn't eat or drink for 24 hours so I took it off. I'm not willing to risk his health, if I want to kill him I'll put him down humanly.

I get that roosters crow all hours. I do get that and I'm willing to live with some amount of nighttime crowing but this rooster is on my last nerve. The only good night of sleep we got was when Hurricane Iselle came through! He didn't crow that night. :) I woke up refreshed ready to face the devastation left behind by the hurricane.

Any advice, guidance, etc. I would love to entertain ideas other than putting him down.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    How old is you rooster? How long has this been a problem? Is there a street light glow on the horizon that could make him think that it's dawn? I have other questions but these 3 will do for now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. Bill Matthews

Bill Matthews Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Try building or finding a place where no light is accessible to him....If he still crows all night...Dumplings or sleepless in Hawaii for a few years...

4. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    I've moved my roo out to his on private nighttime abode that's far FAR away from the house! Bless their hearts they just love to crow!

5. Dayna Robertson

Nov 5, 2012
    No, there are no streetlights for miles. We live waaaay out in the country.

He is about a year and a half old and it has been getting increasingly worse for a couple months. We had two roosters and they would compete crow all night back and forth. We got rid of the other rooster, and now he just crows all night I think for the fun of it.

Ugh.

He doesn't like to be caught. I kenneled him a few nights, and that was great, but now he's like "don't put me in there" and runs away....

Maybe rooster stew will be in his future. I'm not looking forward to that though. I raise chickens for meat, but don't wanna eat our roo. lol

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    What a shame, especially considering he is such a great rooster in other ways. Maybe you could re-home him?

I had a similar problem for a while. We are in a remote area too, and one night at the peak of the crowing I went outside and realised that way off in the distance on a neighbouring property there was a rooster crowing back at him!

I think they were going over their day's activities!

Anyway, it has since stopped and I can only assume the other rooster met his Maker or got sent away.

Mine is quiet at night again now [​IMG]

- Krista

7. Dayna Robertson

Nov 5, 2012
    He was actually pretty good last night (maybe he knows what I'm thinking about!). Only crowed at midnight and then started normal acceptable rooster crowing at 5am.

I view 5am (even though it's not light for another 45 minutes) as an acceptable start time. lol

Here he is with his ladies. This is about half my flock.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by