RIR Rooster Needs New Home - Nashville, TN area

ABard

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2015
We have a purebred RIR roo, who was supposed to be a girl, but ended up being our Thor.

He is really good with our 9 hens. Always watchful, chorales them if they wander from him too much (they free range over 7 acres, including our back yard/house area), protects them from the guineas, and always calls to them and gives them food whenever he finds it, never taking a bite for himself. He mates them regularly - we use aprons to protect their backs.

He gets along great with our dog (some mutual respect there) and our cat.

However, he's taken lately to jumping my husband, and even jumped me one day. I have been handling him since the minute we knew he was a male, hoping it would curb the natural instinct, but alas. He's become more and more territorial lately (we have guineas, too, which may be exacerbating it). I wouldn't worry if it were just us adults, but we have a baby on the way and an incident with my 1yr old nephew this weekend showed us he needs a better situation where he won't be around people all the time.

I want him to go to a place where he is needed for the great characteristics he has and in an environment in which he can thrive. I prefer it to be a place we can travel to bring him but would consider other options.

No charge, just want a good home. Could even throw in a few pure RIR fertilized eggs. Contact me if interested.

Last edited:
Hi! Glad to find this thread here in BYC. I've been looking for a pure breed RIR rooster for my pullets that I will send to the Philippines. If it's okay with you I will pay for shipping of Thor to California. He will be joining the 10 RIR pullets that I bought for a trip to the Philippines. I have a big farm there and he will have a nice home and enjoy free ranging with other chickens. Let me know if it's okay with you, just send me a private message here in BYC. Thanks and looking forward to hear from you.

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. Ended up having a baby a few weeks early. Anyway, thanks for the interest but we decided to go with a local farmer. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom