RIR rooster or Red Star rooster, which is best for my flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jenjan8998, Oct 17, 2014.

1. jenjan8998

jenjan8998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Alright, I have a RIR roo that should be hitting maturity really soon. He has never been aggressive. If he is roosting, he will let me pick him up. The only time he gets right up under me, is when I am feeding them. Overall, he is a nice guy.

Then, I have a Red Star roo. He is only about 6 weeks. The sweetest thing I have ever met! He was the first in the batch of chicks to jump right in my lap and fall asleep. He climbs up onto my shoulder when I am just standing there talking to them. I know he is still young, and things could change, but I would hate giving him up!

Now, I only have 9 hens. I cant even have a rooster, but my neighbors are great, and dont mind. I can only keep one. I plan on hatching a few chicks every year, but only of good mixes. Ones that will be good layers, not mixed breeds, that no one will want. Here are the hens I have:
    2 RIR
    1 Red Star
    1 Pioneer
    1 Black Star
    1 Silver Spangled Hamburg
    1 Dark Cornish

My problem with getting rid of the RIR rooster, I got him with one of the RIR hens, and they are super close! Also with each other, I named them Johnny and June! They do everything together and hate being separated. I want to keep the rooster though, that I could make the most chicks with, since I wont be keeping any of the chicks, until it times to start swapping out chicks with older ones. I need to be able to sell the chicks.

What do you think?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Well Red Stars are mixes, so if you want purebred chicks, the RIR roo is your best bet. You would have purebred RIR chicks out of the RIR hens, the two Star hens should both give you mixes that would be good layers also.

3. jenjan8998

jenjan8998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    I dont necessarily want purebreed chicks, I just want mixes that I can sell. I forgot to say I also have 2 white rock hens. I know if I mix my RIR with them, I will have more red stars, which I can sell. I just need mixes people will want.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Since you don't mind mixed breeds, I would go with the Red Star (Red Sex Link) roosters. I had both Red Sex Links and RIRs over the years and the Red Star roosters are less likely to be aggressive than the RIR roosters. Either of them should infuse your flock with some good laying genes.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If these are both young cockrels, and aren't fighting yet, I'd recommend giving them more time to mature. One may become the obvious choice, or one may decide to attack you, and it's a shame to cull too early. (Been there, done that!) If your RIR is hatchery stock, he's not likely true to type anyway. I'd pick the best behaved, largest, most correct cockrel, and enjoy. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by