RIR Rooster- Southern New Jersey.

DeniseE22

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
New Jersey
Hi there!
I have a 1 year old RIR roo, (named Roo- conveniently enough!) He's breeding with our hens and doing his job of protecting his ladies and territory.
He's a good looking rooster, and was quite friendly up until a few weeks ago (about the time my hens started laying- so I'm guessing he finally hit sexual maturity and doesn't know what to do with all of these hormones). This is where the problem lies; he is territorial, and well to be frank- I'm scared of him and he knows it! I usually take a big board in with me and shoo him out the coop door and block it off with the board so I can do what I need to without him coming at me. There's been several times I've had to give him a small punt with my foot across the coop to get him off of me. I have a very young child- so I cannot accept this behavior. It would simply be the end of him if he ever tried to hurt her. I can't go into the coop to collect eggs without him chasing me and attacking me and I'm getting sick of it. I figured this was my best chance of rehoming him to a good home without him ending up on someones dinner table (To be honest I'm at the point where I've considered it, but I can't muster up the courage to do it... or grab him to do it. ;) ) He's free to anyone who wants to come get him, must catch yourself. (won't be hard, he's in the coop- had a hawk attack a few weeks back so not much free ranging anymore.)

Back
Top Bottom