RIR Rooster with stiff leg, poop around vent area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mpearce684, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mpearce684

mpearce684 New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    I have a RIR rooster that is approximately a year old. I have had him since he was about 2-3 months old. He has been healthy, had no major problems but he has been picking on one of my hens. Two days ago we moved him out of the coop with the hens to let them rest. He was fine until this morning when I went to check on him. He just lays around and acts like he cannot move his right leg. His other leg appears fine, and his right leg does not show any swelling or abnormalities. Its just stiff. He also has poop residue around his vent area and has not pooped much in the cage he is in. Any thoughts on what I can do for him?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Explain stiff,meaning it will not bend? Have you checked for a possible fracture/sprain/dislocation? How is leg positioned? Poop around vent area is from him pooping where he is sitting. Has he been eating? Is it possible to post a photo?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. mpearce684

mpearce684 New Egg

Sep 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

Ten chicks,

He has his leg straight behind him. Fracture is possible, but I don't really see any signs that indicate so. He will not put any weight on this one leg, or curl his toes up. He has been eating, at least the mealworms we put out for treats. He has been pooping. Just found a pile behind him when I took the picture.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It could be so many different things. Start with checking for a dislocated tendon,run thumbs down back of leg from hock(leg joins body)to shank(scales start)press down while doing this,if tendon is dislocated it will feel like an elastic band,loose/springy/wobbly. Press down you will feel it snap back into place.

Is leg hot or cold? Check leg where it joins body,can you feel anything different from his good leg?

Last,look up information for Marek's Disease,i am not implying this is the cause,but with leg issues such as this,Marek's needs to be considered if there are no other explanations.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by