RIR Roosters for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by daeichler, Jul 12, 2008.

1. daeichler

daeichler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    I am wanting to get some birds for meat. First time. If we are looking at butchering the birds at about 8 weeks, and they will all be roosters, would RIRs be a good choice?

Thanks!!

David

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No. They won't be much bigger than those little game hens at the grocery store and the breast will be almost all bone. Very little meat there at all.

If you want to butcher at 8 weeks get a cornish cross and feed it out 8 weeks. You will get a 4 - 6 pound chicken with nice heafty breast. You'll be lucky if a RIR weighs in at 2 lbs at 8 weeks.

You will be sadly disappointed in a RIR carcass.

3. daeichler

Jun 28, 2008
    Thanks so much for that feedback. I have an almost 6-year old daughter and this will be her first experience with chickens, and I wanted it to be a good one. I had been told that RIRs are very gentle birds and, with handling, can become quite friendly. Is the same true with the cornish cross (roosters)?

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Our RIR boys are pure evil(now 12 weeks), the only ones that will bite my 10yo dd. In fact they turn as soon as she gets close and attack her with their baby spurs. They will be dinner at the end of the month.

Cornish X will be docile. If you want to have a pet maybe get a couple nice pullets with some meat birds. Cochins are downright cuddly, and you can keep them rather than eat them all.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    We've culled a few RIR roos from 8 to 16 weeks. Yeah, in comparison to a Cornish X
    they look like a seagull. [​IMG]

They still made a good pot of soup. I wouldn't recommend frying or baking them that
    small.

Since your question is "Would RIR's be a good choice" the answer is a definate no.

6. daeichler

Jun 28, 2008
    Thanks, everyone, for your input! Cornish x it will be...

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Just as an aside, are you going to order any egg layers? I agree with what everyone else said about meat birds, but I was just thinking about your small daughter. Maybe you could order a couple of orpingtons or banties for her to "keep". In my experience, you dont want your kids to bond with dinner [​IMG] Best of luck with your birds!!

8. daeichler

Jun 28, 2008
    I do want to get some egg layers, but do not have time to build a coop at this time...just a short term chicken tractor, this way there is nothing to winter over. Hopefully this Spring will yield enough time to put together a coop... Thanks!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by