RIR roosters, may need to cull one(Pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by harleyjo, Aug 16, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I may need to cull one of my RIR roosters. I think I know the answer to this but since I have never done this before I want some guidance on what to look for in a good RIR rooster. I have 2 pictures of one and 4 pics of the other one. I just want some pointers on what to look for. I may breed some of these to sell so I want to make sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[/img]

These are standard RIR, and not Heritage.

2. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Here is the 4th image. Both chickens are the same age, around 14 weeks old.

[​IMG][/img]

3. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I would keep the second rooster he looks great !

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I would probably keep the second one. He's more fuller looking and his colors are closer to heritage RIR, which is more desirable. [​IMG]

5. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    This just shows you that you never know what you are going to get from a hatchery bird. I don't show my birds but I may breed some and want to do a good job as far as breeding on good traits.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The lesser of two evils would be bird number 2.

Chris

7. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Chris, what traits am I looking for in a RIR that make one better than another? These will just be for egg layers but I can still try to get the best stock that I can out there.

Quote:

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:
    Go look at all of Chris's pictures. That is whats desired. If you really want the best stock, buy chicks from a good breeder. If you just want eggs, yours are fine. [​IMG]

9. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I have been under the impression that if you just want an egg laying machine then you should breed for that and not necessarily for the looks or breed standard (not that you would want to chose the fugliest one of the bunch if there was a nicer one) [​IMG]. That would narrow down a hen. As far as the roosters, I personally would keep the one with the best disposition that is easily handled etc. Especially if you want to sell the chicks. I would tend to think that someone just wanting a backyard flock for laying, etc would probably want docile chickens. So if both of your boys are equally sweet then definitely go with the second. Just MHO!!

10. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:Yes, you are right. I am mostly wanting egg layers and to be able to sustain my flock BUT with that said, I live in Iowa, we have a lot of rural areas and I can sell chicks to make a little extra money. So if I am going to sell some chicks too I would try to do the best I can so I just don't sell terrible birds. I would absolutely let people know that these are not show qualtiy birds and just for backyard flocks of egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by