RIR"s What " Should they look like ! ''

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cold Canadian, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I have a "" newer '' batch of supposed RIR 's and I'm just not convinced that they are what I though that I bought [​IMG]!.We used to have them on the Farm when I was younger and I recall them to be a larger breed as well as being broody .When I was younger they were the most common breed that any farm had ............Cornish giants were not around yet ( for the farmer that is ) or a meat bird so the RIR's were a multi purpose bird .The hens were quite large and fairly round ? and were broody ! Now what I have are a hatchery bird that lay's very well , but are small and not in any way broody at all .Is there a specific characteristic trait that one should look for in this breed ? They are my egg layers and supply me with money to feed the heritage breeds that I have as well as selling some stock from hatched eggs . The roosters are extremely aggressive [​IMG] and seem to have only one thing in there mind !! Are there any "" TRUE '' RIR breeders around that have the old characteristic's still in the breed [​IMG]??

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  4. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks for the reply's , I realize that what I have is a production line red and not what I was lead to believe was a pure RIR.I remember challenging the seller about the color of the chicks when I bought them because they were more yellow then red , which is what I remember the chick color to be , but was told that the color of the chick had no part in what the full grown bird would be colored ? I thought that this was rather odd and have suspected that they were selling hatchery production chicks ( good layers ! , but not what I wanted !! ) Does anyone have pictures of the chicks ? curious if they are red as I suspect , or darker .Also where is a good start for finding "" PURE '' stock in hatching eggs ?? any recommendations [​IMG] ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by