RIR Sex???

BlackAce

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
I have three Rhode Island Reds I think I now what they might be, but I just want to confirm with the majority here. They are about 10 weeks old now and were hatched on 10/01/2013.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Full body profile shots including legs and comb are best for sexing, but from what I can see you have three females.

Here are the feet and body. So everyone is agreeing that I have three females? I was thinking numbers 1 and 2 were female and number 3 was a male. The size of the combs are way bigger on 3 than the other two. The body is also slightly different in shape and also bigger than 1 and 2.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

I agree number 3 has more comb and wattles than the other two, but not near as much as a RIR male would have at this age. There's a thread recently about sexing and ee and a barred rock--I can't get a good link for some reason, but on the third page is a good pic of the barred rock at 10-11 weeks, with the comb I'd expect your bird to have at this age if it were male. RIR boys usually aren't shy about growing that comb, and have thicker legs than the ladies.

You can post again in another 3-4 weeks, just to let us see how things are going.

I agree number 3 has more comb and wattles than the other two, but not near as much as a RIR male would have at this age. There's a thread recently about sexing and ee and a barred rock--I can't get a good link for some reason, but on the third page is a good pic of the barred rock at 10-11 weeks, with the comb I'd expect your bird to have at this age if it were male. RIR boys usually aren't shy about growing that comb, and have thicker legs than the ladies.

You can post again in another 3-4 weeks, just to let us see how things are going.
I agree with Donrae...and here's my photo of my BR roo at 10 weeks so you can see how much comb we would be expecting for a roo of that age.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom