RIR, sexlinks, Leghorns, Hampshires

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by spiral_72, Aug 16, 2010.

1. spiral_72

spiral_72 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    And more questions <sigh> my reading just isn't answering the questions I have.

So I currently have five RIR and six sexlinks and a bantam (whom I had always thought was a runt! HA!) all 18 weeks old. We bought the chicks from TSC around easter.

Is is ok/wise/acceptable to have different breeds..... breed? RIR with sexlinks, RIR with Leghorns and Hampshire Reds with....... whatever? Or should I have them separated so I don't get a bunch of weird chickens with weird behaviors laying weird eggs? I'm only interested in meat and eggs at this time. I hope to have some chicks too... not really to have raise a farm but I think 20 chickens would be about right [​IMG]

One day I'm going to be ANSWERING questions rather than just asking [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It's perfectly fine. The chicks will be mutts, but they probably won't have any real problems. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yep perfectly fine. No different than breeding a Lab with a Poodle or a Tabby with a Calico [​IMG]

(ok technically there is a difference but you get the idea [​IMG] Same species just different characteristics [​IMG])

4. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Songster

Feb 18, 2010
    Quote:What you have are all good egg layers. Crossing them will probably make them better and stronger. You will get some unusual colors. For some people, that makes it fun wondering what colors they will get. Some of the prettiest birds I have seen are crosses.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have a few hundred chickens.My best layer is a mutt hen Black Sex Link crossed back to a RIR roo cross.We get offers on her all the time but she's just not for sale [​IMG] Leghorns improve the laying and size of nearly all breeds and the cross breed improves the hardiness of the leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by