RIR sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkmorrow, Feb 27, 2017.

1. dkmorrow

dkmorrow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    My[​IMG] [​IMG]

My RIR is sick.
    I found her in the coop just laying there and breathing heavy yesterday so I seperated her from the flock. She won't eat or drink or move her body. Her Comb is payed over and dark purple and her poop looks like water and with undigested laying pellets. I think she is dying. She is 3 years old. I also noticed that she has gotten bigger in the last weeks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When you say she has gotten bigger in the last weeks- is her body swelling - if so, is it an overall change or is it centered more in one area (ie the abdomen)?

3. dkmorrow

Jul 15, 2014
    It seems like her breast is what looks bigger,

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you familiar with where and what a bird's crop is? Is that the area that is swollen or is it the entire front of the bird that is larger? If you feel the area what does it feel like?

5. dkmorrow

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm going to check if she is egg bound but im afraid i didn't catch it in time.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    OlGreyMare has asked good questions. Can you feel of her crop under her neck in her right upper chest? Is it full and hard or puffy, or is it empty? Feel of another bird's crop to compare. It should feel somewhat full in the evening, and go down completely by morning before eating. If she has not been eating or drinking hers should be empt. A puffy crop can be a sign of sour crop. Next feel of her lower belly under her vent to check if it is swollen or tight like there may be fluid or masses in there. Can you try to feed her some water with electrolytes with a spoon or dropper slowly? Then offer her some chopped scrambled or boiled egg. You can check inside her vent with one finger an inch or two for a stuck egg. Has she been laying recently? Older hens frequently can suffer from internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis. That can cause sleepiness, poor appetite, wanting to sit rather than walk around, runny poops, and other symptoms. Sorry that she is feeling poorly.

7. dkmorrow

Jul 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here is what her backside looks like

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her back end looks injured and swollen below her vent. Has she been feather picked or been injured? Is the red enlarged area smooth or it the skin broken? Can you soak her bottom in a shallow warm Epsom salt bath? Clean the poop off and look for any damage. Apply some plain neosporin triple antibiotic ointment. She could be swollen for a number of reasons. How long since she has laid an egg? Did you check her crop?

9. dkmorrow

Jul 15, 2014
    Her crop is empty. They area is smooth. I don't have a problem with feather plucking. I'm not sure about eggs. My kids get them and I don't know who's is who's. She is breathing but hasn't moved in a day. I soaked her rear in an epsom salt bath today for about 20 min. She won't eat or drink. I am giving her water from a dropper. She is in a cage by herself.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ol grey mare may have more suggestions. She may have egg yolk peritonitis or egg material in her abdomen. She may be dying, especially since she is not taking food or water. Tube feeding might be something you may want to try. The darkened spot on the area below her vent looks sore. I would make sure that she is on clean dry bedding or on an old clean towel, close to food and water. Chopped egg is usually good for tempting to eat, as well as watery chicken feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by