RIR & SLW free to loving home - Los Angeles area

PeepMePosted

Chirping
14 Years
May 28, 2008
Altadena, CA
We own beautiful pet chickens and are in an awful quandary. We have 2 gorgeous, sweet hens (both 1.5 years old), a Rhode Island Red (Ginger) and a Silver Laced Wyandotte (MaryAnn). They are the best of friends. We’ve tried for the past 2 months to integrate our 3 month old babies but the big girls keep going after the little ones and it's wreaking havoc. We’ve come to a terribly painful decision that we need to get rid of one or both of the big girls. It absolutely breaks my heart to do this. I am looking for a loving, chicken-oriented home that might want to take them in. They are daily golden-brown egg-layers and have very sweet and funny dispositions (other than with the 2 little chick-invaders!). I feel that in another home they will no longer be “alpha chickens”, just normal members of the flock.

I will only give them to someone who would treat them as pets or part of an egg-laying backyard flock. I will not give them to anyone who is interested in meat-birds.

I am in the Los Angeles area. Would prefer local but will travel some distance to place them in the right home. Will send pix if interested. Thanks.

Last edited:
I live in Natchitoches and would love to have some more hens. Where do you live?

Well I just looked at your location and realized that to you LA means Los Angeles...to me...it means Louisiana!!! Doubt you are willing to bring them this far...ha!!

If you wait another month or two, the little ones won't be little any more ~ and maybe you will have better luck integrating! Different age/size often causes problems when mixing flocks.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Thanks, Jenski, but the way the big girls are behaving makes me think the little ones won't GET any bigger with them around. At some point I know they'll get cornered and I don't want to take that chance.

I live in Long Beach and have been looking for another hen to join my 2 girls, a barred Plymouth and an Araucana. The timing, however, is not quite right for me. Not only am I headed out of town for a few days, but one of my chickens is not quite healthy with an unknown illness. She's been on Baytril for about a week and we hope that will do the trick. I'll check the sight again next week to check on your progress. I'll also pass along your post to one of my chicken-friendly friends in the LBC who may be interested in expanding her flock. My money, however, is on peace, love and an understanding among the hens and chicks. Can't we all just get along? Best of luck.

P.S. I have often been fooled by the Louisiana folk's "LA."

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl who's under the weather. I too have a Barred Rock and Araucana (more likely an EE) so I'm especially rooting for you (and her). Your timing is no problem...please check in when you get back and we'll see where things stand. Thanks so much for your interest. And yes, please pass the info along to your chick-friends!

Back
Top Bottom