RIR Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krazycow6, Sep 1, 2009.

1. krazycow6

krazycow6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Zephyrhills, FL
    One of my RIR's has been laying for about 1 month now. She has laid 1 egg every single day up until Sunday. She did not lay Sun, Mon, or today. They do free range but only right around the house, and I have looked everywhere. Ever since she started laying even if they are free ranging she has went to the nesting box. So I am wondering what is going on. No fart eggs, all large and 1 double yoker from her. What could the problem be.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    molting its fall..... i had one layer a NHR breeder hen that was laying me an egg everyday consistlantly and all of the sudden last month she decided to drop her feathers and a month later here i am eggless!!!!

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My RIR freaked out for a couple of days when I had to pen her up to prevent hawk attack. She got back to normal when she could free range again.

4. thedreamers

thedreamers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    We've been having trouble all summer ourselves with egg production. We have 20 hens that laid 1 aday then we started to get about 8 aday and have dropped to no eggs at all. Then we get between 2-7 aday. Whats up with this. Nothing has changed not even molting right now.

5. krazycow6

krazycow6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Yea, I dont know, she doesnt show any signs of a molt starting. Who knows. Thanks anyways

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by