RIR to Black Australorp(I finally found my RIR roo)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by They Call Me Pete, Jan 12, 2010.

1. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Is this a good selection. Wanted a RIR roo but can't seem to locate one. Well I did but the guy wanted $20 for him or two of my girls [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    From this, I'm guessing you want to cross a BA rooster with a RIR hen? What are you trying to accomplish with this cross?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. They Call Me Pete

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Just looking to hatch chicks. Thats all. Didn't know if certain breeds are a better idea than others

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It should work well. What I would expect is that all the chicks will be black from this cross, a BA rooster and RIR hen. I would expect a pretty good dual purpose bird, good egg layer and decent meat bird.

As far as that goes, a RIR hen crossed with a Sussex, Delaware, Black Australorp, Orpington, any of the Rocks or Wyandottes, Dorking, Favorelle, Buckeye, New Hampshire Red, RIR, Rhode Island White, Maran, Welsummer, or Dominique rooster should produce a decent dual purpose bird. I'm guessing you have located a pretty inexpensive Black Australorp. If you are still looking, you might try Craigslist in your area for a free rooster. It is a little early in the season but if you advertise for one and say he is not going to be cooked but will be given his own flock, you should be able to get a good one free.

If you are more after egg production and not meat, add a leghorn rooster to the list.

Good luck!!!

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I crossed a Jersey Giant rooster to a RIR hen. Ended up with all black chicks......with red leakage around neck/head/chest. The boys had much more red than teh girls. The girls look like black sex links [​IMG] The boys had some red feathers scattered throughout their body. I did this cross same time as a Jersey Giant Leghorn cross and the RIR crosses were much more substantial and the cockerels were sold as meat birds at 12-13 weeks. I kept all the girls and they are coming up on 17 weeks so should be laying by spring.

6. They Call Me Pete

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Sounds like a pretty good match I guess. $10 isn't a bad deal to me. Still be nice to find a free RIR roo.

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Here's Foghorn my half-breed Production red roo X Black Australorp hen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hens from this cross were mostly solid black a couple had some reddish/brown around the neck area right under the head but not as much as a BSL pullet. They were decent layers of large eggs also. I don't have any pics of the girls, as I sold them last spring to make room for newer and different breeds. I will look to see if I can find pics of them and post if I find some.

catdaddy

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Here is a picture of one of my girls.........probably about 16 weeks old or so in this picture.

[​IMG]

They are about the same size as some pure RIR pullets that are about a month older.

9. They Call Me Pete

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    I found one for $8 [​IMG] [​IMG]. Let the hatching begin. Should be ordering bator on Friday if everything goes well and start thinking about building brooder. Maybe just put them in the basement. My girls are going to be very excited. They are attending a chick class and seeing over 100 chicks tomorrow. Not sure why but wife wanted them to do it. Happy wife, happy life [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by