1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR, trauma, ceased egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tumbleweed Farm, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    I had a tragedy, all of my chickens were killed over a month ago except for 1 RIR, she had been laying for about a month prir to this. I got 3 more hens for here a week later and they hang out like best friends, np at all. Well, Rust has not layed but one egg a week after the loss, nothing more for a month. she is adjusted now to her new flock and is not under stress. how long do they cease laying after a major trauma?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Well, I'm not sure, to be honest. I have an EE that just survived a fox attack. She never stopped laying.

Mine have slowed way down, and some have stopped due to molting. The ones that are still laying are laying much less. I have to think it's the shortening length of day causing it in my flock.

3. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Thanks Sheav, does anyone elsehave some insigt to this situation?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It varies with the bird. Even getting along there's still social stress from being with birds she doesn't know. Eventually all will be well - barring any more predator attacks.

5. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    Thank you chickencanoe. Is a month not laying typical?

6. Tumbleweed Farm

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]

Thanks all--she laid this morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by