RIR vs. BR Dispositions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Jul 5, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Anyone else notice that BRs are much less skitish than the RIR breed? I have 3 of each, and the BRs are much more approachable.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Generally, yes, they are more curious and friendly, however, I've had RIRs who were just about as friendly. My almost five year old RIR, Reba, asks to be picked up on occasion.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've never had BRs, but my RIRs are very friendly and beg to be on my lap. Not to mention they also love their head rubs.

4. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Mine are still very very young (a little over two weeks old) but the RIR's are THE most skittish, hardest to catch, and last to come out of the coop when I am around. My BR's (one in particular) is the first to greet me, the first to hop out of the coop, etc.

5. Mare

Mare Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    I have 1 BR and 1 RIR. The RIR is the friendliest out all the chickens I have. She comes running up to the gate of the run to greet me and follow every. The BR, however, well lets just say we name her Nervous Nellie cause when you enter the run she just runs back forth and does not want anything to do with me.

6. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:I am hopeful my RIR's will come around. Goes to show breed does not dictate everything! :)

7. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    I have 5 of each, and the BR's are far friendlier than the RIR's. They are 18 - 19 weeks old and the closer they get to laying the friendlier they are becoming. One RIR actually let me pet her for the first time last week! All of our BR's are easy to pet and pick up. a BR jumps to my husband's shoulder every morning and evening. Real Cute!! We got our RIR's from McMurray, and the BRs from My Pet Chicken.

8. mydakota

mydakota Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe it is an individual personality thing? I have one of each. My Barred Rock is definitely my friendliest chicken. She has the most personality in a bunch of different ways. I love her. My RIR is the flightiest out of my 7 girls. But it looks like others here have had different experiences.

9. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I guess it depends, huh? To reiterate, my RIRs are not really skittish, quite curious in fact. They are just not as easily approachable when it comes to touching or picking up; but they do come right up to me - I guess they just don't like being handled as much whereas the BRs don't mind. One of my BRs is definitely the friendliest. Used to jump up on the brooder edge to greet me, and now always comes running to me when I get near. She does not mind being pet or handled at all. My chicks all came from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio.

10. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I have had quite a few barred rocks because my hubby likes the way they look. NONE of them have ever been what I call "friendly". The 1 RIR hen that i have though is very curious with more personality than ALL the BR's combined! She can get a little pushy though when it comes to treats. I never have to worry about the BR's accidentally pecking too hard... they act like they couldn't care less if we ever came out to the pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by