RIR vs. NHR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cravenchx, Oct 7, 2011.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Is there a big difference between these two breeds?
    Does one lay better than the other.
    We just returned from the Dixie Classic Fair,
    and we thought we had RIR's, but after seeing the
    NHR's, me thinks this is what we have.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you post a pic for us?

3. chickenhawk73

chickenhawk73 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    haw river
    The rir`s tend to be more aggressive.As far as egg production it would be about the same.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    New Hampshire. NH. No "red" in the name. [​IMG]

The thing is, there is a difference, however with production bred/hatchery quality RIR's they've fallen back to look the same as New Hampshires, well, the same as poor quality New Hampshires. It's the same with almost any breed of poor quality, honestly. Take for example - Buff Rocks vs Buff Orpingtons, or Black Australorps vs Black Jersey Giants. Barred Rocks vs Dominiques. Little difference in hatchery quality, big difference in show quality.

But here's a visual of New Hampshire vs Rhode Island Red -

New Hampshire (orange, well fanned black tail, large build, slightly light colored neck)

[​IMG]

Rhode Island Red (deep red, almost blackened in color, large build, little to no black showing, very low set tail)

[​IMG]

You do have Rhode Island Reds, they're just poor quality like most of them out there. [​IMG] But still great laying hens!

ETA - hatchery RIR's do tend to be aggressive because of careless breeding, heritage/show quality RIR's are rarely to never aggressive.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:Mine are 18 weeks old. Still a very light reddish/brown with black in the tail feathers.
    Poor quality? In what ways? Are you dissing my chickens?[​IMG]
    And maybe I can figure out how to get the pictures from the camera to the computer!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm saying they wouldn't win a show. That isn't dissing your chicken. Most of the RIR's out there wouldn't because hatcheries bred them solely for egg laying. [​IMG]

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    That sounds/looks kinda mean Illia...I would reword that and leave a complement to go with it. I know I happen to have 3 show quality RIRs and a NH that is too young to know about...some birds can be quality, even from hatcheries...I mean I show chickens for 4H and I have a good idea of what they should look like, even production reds have a standard.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Quote:[​IMG]

I'm talking about APA shows, to the APA standard for the breed, not 4-H.

I didn't mean to offend, just to educate. The OP asked the difference and why their bird looked different than the show ones, I explained the facts.

I have a hatchery New Hampshire, Brahma, and several hatchery Polish and still love them equally.

9. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    No offense taken. I was tongue in cheek when I asked if you were
    dissing. I love my girls either way. I appreciate the info. That's why
    I asked![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by