RIR w/Infected Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarnsB, Dec 27, 2010.

1. BarnsB

BarnsB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Warren, CT
    I have a RIR with a badly infected eye.
    I have treated with ointment for eyes (non-antibiotic) and also given IM Tylan. The eye looks better but has been damaged badly by infection. It is greyish white & appears to be desintegrating.
    She seems to be perkier & she is eating and drinking on her own. She is definately blind in the bad eye. It has to hurt.
    I have stopped the IM Tylan, having run its course, & am continuing with the eye ointment & vitimins etc.
    Does the eye need to be removed or will it resolve on its own? Does anyone have experience with this problem?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    How did the eye get infected?

Can you show us a picture?

3. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I would give 1 cc of penicillin under skin to hen and then put some antibiotic eye ointment in eye with a steriod in it. You can call vet or go to vet supply get some. The ointment does not have to be labeled for chicken. I might even just put drop of penicillin in the eye too to see if that helps.

4. BarnsB

BarnsB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Warren, CT
    I'm not sure how the eye got infected. I think it was probably injured & I missed it. I will try to take pic.
    It does look better. Just not good. When I first noticed it, the eye was so swollen that it protruded from between the eyelids and was exposed directly to the air with no protection. YUCK. Since the course of Tylan the swelling has gone down and the eylids now close but the eye itself is not retrievable. If this was a horse or dog the eye would definately be surgically removed. So I'm wondering if I need to make a trip to my (non - Chicken) vet or if the eye will resolve on its own with continued antibiotics. She will never see out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by