RIR with a black beak and pale comb???

katssmilin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
We have 3 RIR's they are almost a year and were laying one egg a day till the cold weather started. One tarted molting early november but has most of her feathers bck now. Problem is her comb is very very pale pink and I noticed her beak is turning black or a very dark brown. I don't know if this is normal. This is my first experiance with chickens. She seems to be eating and drinking and acting normal otherwise. We have laying mash available at all times for them and I usually give them dried mealworms or grapes or oatmeal as a treat and somtimes I give them yogurt. They always have water available also. We put a small heater in the coop to keep them warm and have a light come on from 4-8 in the evening and 4-8 in the morning to simulate longer days to see if they will start laying again. Anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong with her? One of the others just started molting 2 weeks ago. Thanks for listning and any advice you may have.

It sounds like she is finishing her moult, keep on feeding her the laying mash and maybe add some organic Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to her water. It might help her out. You could check for worms?

I have two Silver Grey Dorkings going through the moult at the moment and their combs are really pale. I was so worried I had red mite that I gutted my pen but found nothing. I was told that some hens combs do go really pale. Today I have noticed that they are starting to redden up again now. pheww thank goodness

Back
Top Bottom