RIR with issues from prolapsed vent!

zach_arneth

Chirping
Mar 5, 2018
image.jpg
Hello everyone,
I just recently took my Rhode Island Red to the vet due to a prolapsed vent. I had tried to fix it before hand but it kept coming out. They checked for an egg (not with x-rays or anything) and reported none. She ended up getting stitched up to keep her vent inside, and she has pooped once but I’m worried she has an egg stuck in there. Occasionally she will squat a little and squak a bit as well. The poop had a little blood, so not a lot at all. I’m not sure if there is anything I can do but I’m hoping there might be suggestions to help her pass the egg. She has 4 stitches according to the vet, so it’d be pretty hard for her to pass one. How long would she have until she dies from being unable to pass the egg? I’ve given her calcium (oyster shell bits), food, and water with electrolytes and vitamins, which she seems to eat and drink with no problems. Any help would be great, thank you! She also makes occasional noises that sound like a human throat noise when you surpress a burp, and a slightly droopy tail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
How is your girl doing now? Sorry I am just seeing this post. I did not take my 2 yo Black Australorp to the vet for vent prolapse, so, I got online and read all I could. I finally found a YouTube video that gave me hope my Java could recover. She has a minor vent prolapse, not the kind where there is all kinds of tissue hanging out! So far she is doing pretty good and has laid about 6 eggs since her prolapse. I did a pretty good job halting egg laying for the first two weeks, and I am sure this gave her time to heal she needed. I am still dealing with swelling, so, I can't say she is fully recovered, but, I am hopeful. If you haven't already, try some antibiotic ointment inside and out. That is the first thing I did. I have switched to Green Goo now.

How is your girl doing now? Sorry I am just seeing this post. I did not take my 2 yo Black Australorp to the vet for vent prolapse, so, I got online and read all I could. I finally found a YouTube video that gave me hope my Java could recover. She has a minor vent prolapse, not the kind where there is all kinds of tissue hanging out! So far she is doing pretty good and has laid about 6 eggs since her prolapse. I did a pretty good job halting egg laying for the first two weeks, and I am sure this gave her time to heal she needed. I am still dealing with swelling, so, I can't say she is fully recovered, but, I am hopeful. If you haven't already, try some antibiotic ointment inside and out. That is the first thing I did. I have switched to Green Goo now.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. She’s fine now, and she’s in a separate coop recovering and being reintegrated.

Back
Top Bottom