RIR with sore/tumor on eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ColeSchmidt, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ColeSchmidt

ColeSchmidt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys! I'm new to the forms here, and this is the first time my family has had chickens in about 10 years so we are all really excited. However, we have a few four month old RIR's that we got from FFA and one of them has developed this massive scabby tumor on her eye. We have looked into all sorts of chicken diseases but it doesn't appear to look like any of them because it is just this one tumor on her eye and isn't anywhere else. She also appears to have a ruptured air sack but I heard those heal on their own normally. So I'm going to post a picture of the eye and am hoping someone could tell me what is going on with our poor chicken! She acts just fine and no different than our non affected hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few more pictures that I took a few minutes ago:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Wow! I have no idea unless it's pox that set up in the eye, or it developed as a result of pecking. Have you tried to treat it with anything? I bet someone with more knowledge will reply soon. Good luck.

3. ColeSchmidt

Oct 6, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Our original thought was pox and we have a friend who thinks it is pox, but doesn't pox cover their whole face in smaller sores? This is one giant one! We haven't done anything with it because we have no idea how to handle it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. ColeSchmidt

Oct 6, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    When we got the chick it had a tiny dot above her eye and we didn't think anything of it but it has increased in size every day. Haven't seen any puss at all. The crazy thing is that we got her with 2 other chicks from the same hatch that she has been around since say one and neither of them have anything like this going on anywhere on them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. wyan5

wyan5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I don't know if this is what your chicken has but it's a possibility... I have a SLW I bought a year ago. Didn't notice any problems until a few weeks ago. She had a scabby area around her beak and a balloon-like bulge coming out one nostril (really gross!) She couldn't even close her beak all the way but still managed to eat. I looked in her mouth and the whole roof of her mouth was engulfed by a large lump of skin/scabs. Symptoms were similar to pox but we took her to a vet to be sure. Vet said she has cancer! Not sure how fast it's growing..she still acts normal but we're going to put her down before she suffers. If the scabby area on your chicken is growing it might very well be cancer. I think the vet poked it and blood came out of the tumor..that's one indication of cancer.

7. ColeSchmidt

Oct 6, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    That may very well be the case with this little chick. It looks an awful lot like a cancerous tumor.

8. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    That poor thing. If it we me, I would put Neosporin on it and see if it got better.

9. ColeSchmidt

Oct 6, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    How do I know if it is a cancer or pox? It's even bigger today :(.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That looks like pox to me, but everything looks like pox to me lately, lol. FWIW, I just lost a chick that had one just like that. Will take a picture and post it later.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by